(navigation image)
Home American Libraries | Canadian Libraries | Universal Library | Community Texts | Project Gutenberg | Biodiversity Heritage Library | Children's Library | Additional Collections
Search: Advanced Search
Anonymous User (login or join us)
Upload
See other formats

Full text of "Report of the work of the National society of United States daughters of eighteen hundred and twelve"

E 351 
.6 
.P4 
Copy 1 









i'i<i;.si..\Ti;i) nY 





IP" Mr*'--' ' ••■«*•*- j-^H 






J^^/^ 


^'^ ' ^B 


"^^ 


^B' 







MRS. WILLIAM GERRY SLADE 

National President 

1897-1915 




REPORT OF THE WORK 

OF THE 

National Snmtg at 

MmUh BtnUB iaugljt^ra 

0f 

FROM 

1897 TO 1915 

DURING THE PRESIDENCY OF 

MRS. WILLIAM GERRY SLADE 



r 



This book is compiled from the reports re- 
ceived from the States and Chapters, as a loving- 
tribute to the untiring efforts and efficiency in the 
eigfhteen years of service of our loved and honored 
National President. 

BEATRICE EARNED WHITNEY. 

New York City, April, 1915. 



Gift 
NOV 12 18/6 



THE WORK OF THE NATIONAL SOCIETY OF 
UNITED STATES DAUGHTERS OF I8I2 



It is not the purpose to give here the formation and early 
history of the Society, but the work that has been accomphshed 
by the National Society, the States and the Chapters. 

The General Society was founded January 8, 1892 by the 
late Mrs. Flora Adams Darling. 

In 1897 Mrs. William Gerr)^ Slade was elected the Na- 
tional President, and the Society was incorporated by an Act 
of the United States Congress and approved by President 
McKinley on February 25, 1901 as the 

National Society of United States Daughters of 
Eighteen Hundred and Twelve 

The following ladies are named in the Act of Congress : 
Mrs. Flora Adams Darling, of New York; Mrs. Wilham Gerry 
Slade, of New York; Mrs. Louis W. Hall, of Pennsylvania; 
Mrs. Edward Roby, of Illinois; Mrs. M. A. Ludin, of New 
York; Mrs. LeRoy Sunderland Smith, of New York; Miss 
Helen G. Bailey, of New Hampshire; Mrs. Alfred Russell, of 
Michigan; Mrs. William Lee, of Massachusetts; Mrs. William 
Tod Helmuth, of New York; Mrs. Nelson V. Titus, of Massa- 
chusetts. 

In 1897 when Mrs. Slade became the National President, 
there were 75 members. There are now enrolled at head- 
quarters, 3758. During these eighteen years, 35 states have 
been organized or re-organized, necessitating thousands of 
miles of travelling, for which the National Society has not 
contributed one dollar to the expenses of the National 
President. 

The official bulletin has been edited solely by the National 
President since December, 1906, for nine years, and published 

3 



by the National Society. Before 1906, monthly articles for 
nine years on the work of the National Society, were printed in 
"The Spirit of 76" and "The Club-woman." This was also the 
work of the National President. Through the loved and capable 
chairman of "The Real Daughters Committee" (former Presi- 
dent of New Jersey and present First Vice-President of the 
National) Miss M. Louise Edge, of Jersey City, beautiful 
souvenir pins have been given to 427 Real Daughters by the 
National Society. Miss Edge suggested the idea of the pins 
and it was adopted by the National Society in 1904, making 
her the chairman. The only honorary pin, was presented in 
memory of her mother to our National President, (Mrs. Ruth 
M. Hardy). Souvenir spoons have also been presented, made 
by J. E. Caldwell & Co., of Philadelphia. 

New York holds the highest record for Real Daughters, 
having numbered 72, to whom pins have been given, with 
Missouri next, 67. 

For several years the Society has used the grave marker 
of the Men's Society of the War of 1812. On January 14, 
1915, it adopted a beautiful design from several in competition 
and will now own and have complete control over the official 
Grave Marker. Hundreds of graves of men who served in 
the War of 1812, have been located as the State and Chapter 
reports will show. Illinois holds the highest record, having 
marked 117 graves. 

A beautiful six panel window was placed in St. Michael's 
Church, Princetown, Dartmoor, England at a cost of $1250.00, 
and was unveiled by the National President on June 4, 1910. 
The work was done by Mayer & Co., the finest firm in this 
line in the world, having branches in New York, London, 
Paris, Vienna and Munich. This was under the chairman- 
ship of Mrs. B. L. Whitney, of Detroit. 

The inscription on the window is : 

"To the Glory of God and in memory of the American prison- 
ers of war who were detained in the Dartmoor War Prison, 
between the years 1813 and 1816 and who helped to build the church; 

4 



especially of the 218 brave men who died here, on behalf of their 
country. This window is presented by the National Society of 
United States Daughters of 1812." 

A beautifully engrossed record on parchment of the States 
that had contributed to the window, was presented to the 
Bishop, for the church, and is shown to all who visit tliis 
historic spot. The King of England sent a special represent- 
ative to the services. Eight English Bishops were present, 
also many officials and dignitaries of both countries. Mrs. 
Slade gave an inspiring address, which the English press said, 
"Was a credit to her Society and to her Country." 

Later the National Society had a colored replica made 
of the window, 14x18 inches, in the form of a certificate, for 
every member of the National Society. 

As each valued member of the National Board has been 
called Home to her eternal rest a beautiful floral offering tied 
with the ribbon of the Society has been laid on her grave with 
tender care. 

The National Society adopted the insignia, early in its 
history and has just reason to be proud of its unique beauty. 

On September 10, 1914, a bas-relief tablet was presented 
to the City of Baltimore, to commemorate the writing of the 
National Anthem "The Star Spangled Banner." It was 
placed on the front iaqade of the City Hall and impressive 
services were held when the National President presented it 
to the Mayor, for the City. The tablet cost $800.00 and was 
the work of Hans Schuler, one of the greatest living sculptors. 

There is a philanthropic fund of $111.57 in the National 
Treasury. 

The publishing of this book will close the work to which 
we may point with pride as the record of the National Society 
in the eighteen years of Mrs. Slade's Presidency. 



STATE OF NEW YORK 

Organized 1892 
MRS. WILLIAM GERRY SLADE. President 

The Society has given for the Spanish-American War Re- 
hef about $500.00. 

Subscribes for the Navy Rehef Work — irregular amounts. 

AffiHates with the American Flag Association v^^ith annual 
contributions. 

Has placed on exhibition at the Madison Square Garden 
the largest flag in the world for the benefit of Miss Mulford 
(its maker). 

Joined in entertaining the Ninth Regiment and the Engi- 
neer Regiment on their return from the War. 

Placed a tablet on Fayerweather Hall, Columbia College, 
to mark the line of the city defenses during the War of 1812. 
$150.00. 

Given a series of Honor Day lunches, entertaining Jennie 
June, Julia Ward Howe and many others, as an appreciation 
of their valuable work. 

Entertained the National Society for eleven years at the 
annual meeting. 

The Society, for eleven years, has given a series of talks 
on "Public Topics of the Day," by Miss Janet E. Richards, of 
Washington, D. C, an ever ready fine speaker. 

Placed those of its members who have needed it in hospi- 
tals and homes. 

Furnished the Reception Room in the Naval Building, 
given by Mrs. Helen Miller Gould Sheppard to the Y. M. C. A, 
in Sands Street, Brooklyn, $450.00. 

Placed a marble tablet in the Post Chapel at West Point 
in honor of the officers and enlisted men of the War of 1812, 
$200.00. 

Subscribed nearly $400.00 toward the Memorial Window 
in St. Michael's Church in Prince Town, Dartmoor, England, 

6 



Completed a fund for the George Washington Memorial 
Administration Building, (in honor of George Washington) 
$10,000.00. 

Established the Ruth M. Hardy (named by Mrs. Striker) 
Pension Memorial Fund, $10,000.00 

Given lectures and readings by Capt. Hobson, Maxwell 
Ryder, Joseph C. Lincoln and others. 

Given support to the Crab Island enterprise of the Catho- 
lic Summer School at Plattsburg, N. Y. 

Entertained and cared for the family of Hiram Cronk 
the last survivor of the War of 1812. 

Contributed to the Actors' Fund Fair, to the Lincoln 
Farm Association, and the National Municipal League. 

Had one scholarship in the Lincoln Memorial School 
which was under General Howard in Tennessee. 

Sent a travelling library to Alaska under the auspices of 
the Women's Auxiliary of the Naval Branch of the Y. M. C. A. 

Placed a tablet and held exercises on the schooner "Polly," 
a privateer in the War of 1812, one hundred and six years old, 
and yet in service as a merchantman. 

It had in preparation the placing of a boulder and 
tablet on the battlefield at Sackett's Harbor. This is com- 
pleted by the Jefferson County Chapter. The State helped 
with $1,000.00. 

Has also marked the graves of every one who served in 
the war that have been found to date in the State of New 
York. 

Has placed a memorial drinking fountain under the 
auspices of the Society of Cruelty to Animals and has educated 
a southern mountaineer child. This is the work of the New 
York City Chapter. State contributed. 

New York had a fine stand on Riverside Drive for the 
Dewey celebration and parade and another fine stand at Cen- 
tral Park West for the Hudson-Fulton celebration and parade. 

7 



The State contributes help to each one of its Chapters 
who do any particular work, always. 

A beautibul bronze drinking fountain has just been pre- 
sented at a cost of $300.00 to the Seamen's Church Institute 
on South Street, New York City. 



ANDREW JACKSON CHAPTER No. 1 
MRS. WILLIAM H. HOTCHKIN, Regent 

Andrew Jackson Chapter was organized on February 15, 
1911, at the home of Mrs. W. H. Hotchkin, 202 Riverside 
Drive. 

Mrs. Hotchkin was appointed Regent by the President 
National and State President, Mrs. William Gerry Slade, with 
the privilege of appointing her officers which she did as follows : 

First Vice-Regent, Mrs. Katharine A. Martin; Second 
Vice-Regent, Miss Martha Douglas Treat ; Third Vice-Regent, 
Mrs. Homer Lee; Recording Secretary, Mrs. Joseph T. 
Regan; Corresponding Secretary, Miss Flora Ryan; Treasurer, 
Mrs. W. L. Mann; Board of Directors, Mrs. Bradley L. 
Eaton, Mrs. Hinsdale, Mrs. Frederick V. Flower. 

The chapter celebrated the centennial of the War of 1812 
by dedicating a memorial drinking fountain at the entrance 
of Washington Bridge and 181st Street. The dedication was 

as follows : 

Dedicated to the Memory of 

Andrew Jackson 

Soldier and Statesman 

Hero of the Battle of New Orleans 

Erected By 

National Society N. S. U. S. D. 1812 

State of New York 

Andrew Jackson Chapter 

The exercises commenced by an invocation by Rev. E. W. 
Cleveland followed by account of the Chapter by Mrs. Hotch- 

8 



kin and an address by the President National, Mrs. William 
Gerry Slade. 

Mrs. Hotchkin then presented the fountain to the City 
which was accepted by the General Wilson on behalf of the 
Society of Prevention of Cruelty to Aminals under whose 
auspices it was erected and by Commissioner Stover, on be- 
half of the City, who presented the ground. A speech was 
made by Colonel Hotchkin of the 22nd Regiment. 

The fountain is of solid granite in the shape of an ancient 
Roman fountain used for horses and low enough to be 
arranged for small animals. It also has modern hygienic 
faucets for the people. 



NIAGARA FRONTIER BUFFALO CHAPTER No. 2 
MRS. JOHN MILLER HORTON. Regent 

The Chapter was organized by our present and only 
Regent, Mrs. John Miller Horton at her home, May 19, 1904, 
with a charter membership of thirteen. 

While this is a small Chapter it has had an unusual mem- 
bership. Twenty Real Daughters have been among its numbers, 
six of whom have passed on to their reward leaving us with 
fourteen still to be cherished and cared for. We have also in 
this county one of the few pensioners of 1812, the widow of 
a soldier, who, while not a member is one whom we remember 
often. 

During the first year of its existence (early in 1905), 
the Chapter united with both the City Federation and the West- 
ern Federation of Women's Clubs and still continues this mem- 
bership. The first gift of this Chapter was that of $5.00 to 
the work of the Western Federation. In January, 1906, the 
Chapter contributed $5.00 to a library at Scio. 

In 1906 the City Federation established the "Penny 
Luncheons" in our Public Schools. Aside from the equip- 
ment of three stations at $50.00 each (not included in our 
sum total) which was donated by our Regent, the Chapter 
donated $25.00. 

9 



In 1907, a scholarship was secured in one of the schools 
among the mountains of Kentucky, and for four years at an 
expense of $220.00, kept Shelley Day, the descendant of a 
soldier of 1812, in school at Hindman, Ky. 

The Landmarks Association of the Niagara Frontier, 
with which this Chapter is affiliated has received from us 
$10.00 to aid in its work of placing tablets and restoring ancient 
landmarks. We have officially participated in two ceremonies 
at Lundy's Lane, at Fort Niagara at the Indian Mission Ceme- 
tery and at the placing of tablets on historic sites in the city, 
and contributed flowers. 

The City Federation of Women's Clubs in 1905 
started a movement to create a perpetual scholarship for a 
deserving girl in the University of Buffalo. For three years 
this Chapter contributed to this fund to the amout of $66.50. 
This was named after our beloved Regent, "The Katherine 
Pratt Horton Scholarship." 

$5.00 was given to the window in Dartmoor Church and 
$5.00 toward the entertainment of the Western Federation. 

In 1910 our members contributed $10.00 toward the effort 
to purchase the Francis Scott Key Home. 

For some years the Chapter on each Decoration Day has 
placed flowers on the graves of the soldiers of 1812 lying in 
our big city Cemetery, Forest Lawn. There are at least 
thirty known graves in this one Cemetery. The expense of 
the flags and plants for this ceremony during the past seven 
years has amounted to $45.00. On Decoration Day, 1912, we 
placed with appropriate ceremonies thirteen markers, each 
with a name plate, in this same cemetery. The expense of 
these markers was $58.50. More markers will be placed as 
soon as the funds in the treasury will warrant. When plan- 
ning to place more markers we learned that one of our Real 
Daughters was in need, so we turned from the dead to the 
living, relieved her distress and assisted in placing her in a 
a home where she is comfortable and where she will never 

10 



again suffer from cold or hunger. This took from our 
treasury $102.00. 

Perry's Victory on Lake Erie was celebrated in Septem- 
ber, 1913. One of the most brilliant events of the entire week 
was the very large meeting and reception held under the 
auspices of the Niagara Frontier Buffalo Chapter. Over 
twelve hundred invitations were issued not only in the City 
but to the officers of every Chapter in the country whose 
names could be procured. A brilliant speaker, unusual music, 
and the presentation of a flag of 1812 to the Chapter combined 
to make this one of the most notable events of the week. The 
expense of this was $174.00, borne in part by the State ap- 
propriation. The cost of the fiag was $15.00. 

The closing event of 1913 was our participation with the 
Buffalo Chapter in the commemoration of the Burning of Buf- 
falo, on December 30th. 

In 1914 this Chapter sent to the Chaplain at Valley 
Fiorge, $10.00 to be used in the Memorial Chapel on those 
historic grounds. 

For the past six years at the Thanksgiving season our 
Real Daughters have been remembered with fruit or flowers. 
The expenditures for this has amounted to $35.00. When the 
dear members of our Society have been laid to rest it has been 
our privilege to lay our tribute of white carnations on her 
casket. For this the Chapter has expended $42.50. 

In a quiet way this Chapter has endeavored to assist and 
encourage lecturers and singers just starting in their career. 
While these sums have not at any time been large the aggregate 
amounts to $25.00. 

The records of soldiers of 1812, compiled and placed on 
blanks of our own devising by the Records Committee are a 
mine of local information and of great value to future his- 
torians. Many of these are "Original Records" and have 
required days and montlis of patient research. 

The Chapter is indebted to its Regent for the beautiful 
Ritual with which its meetings are opened. 

11 



The dues to the City Federation for ten years have been 
$20.00 and to the Western Federation also $20.00 beside the 
gift of $10.00 to the Sunshine Work of the latter organization 
and ten dollars towards "souvenirs" for the State Banquet. 

This is exclusive of all current expenses of the Chap- 
ter, such as supplies, printing, postage, research work and 
dues to the National Society. These funds have been raised 
by personal gifts from the members and by small entertain- 
ments. 



GENERAL JOHN E. WOOL CHAPTER No. 3 
MRS. WILLIAM H. PECKHAM. Repent 

Our Chapter has planned to give a drinking fountain to 
the City of Troy. 



COMMODORE OLIVER HAZZARD PERRY CHAPTER No. 4 
MRS. FRANK D. CALLAN. Regent 

The Commodore Oliver Hazzard Perry Chapter of Herki- 
mer County, New York, has marked in Herkimer County the 
graves of one hundred and twelve soldiers of the War of 1812. 

Special exercises were held in connection with marking 
the graves as follows : In the old historic church at the 
Town of Columbia on the 30th of June, 1910; at Frankfort, 
July 13, 1912; at Herkimer, October, 1912; in the old yellow 
church at Manheim, October 7, 1912 ; at the Town of Columbia, 
September 26, 1913; at Little Falls, October 22, 1913, and at 
Mohawk in 1914. 

The Chapter has also contributed fifteen dollars to the 
fund for the Memorial Window in St. Michael's Church, 
Dartmoor, England. 



FRIGATE CONSTITUTION CHAPTER No. 5 
MRS. GEORGE B. WALLIS. Regent 

The "Frigate Constitution" Chapter, Kings County, New 
York has 20 members and was organized September 30, 1908. 

12 



February, 1909, $30.00 was contributed towards the stained 
glass window placed by the National Society in St. Michael's 
Church, Dartmoor, England. 

During 1912, $50.00 was appropriated for the George 
Washington Memorial Fund. 

April, 1913, $10.00 was given to the American Red Cross 
Society for the Ohio flood sufferers. 

April 16, 1914, a silver loving cup was presented to the 
U. S. S. "New York" in commemoration of tlie capture of the 
"Guerriere" and "Java" by the Frigate Constitution in the 
War of 1812. 

October, 1914, $50.00 was sent to the Belgian Relief Fund. 
During the winter of 1914-15, one hundred knitted articles 
have been sent to the soldiers at the front. 

This work has been accomplished by twenty members. 



COMMODORE MELANCTHAN TAYLOR WOOLSEY 
CHAPTER No. 6 

MRS. HENRY S. ROBERTS. Regent 

We mark the grave of our hero every May 30th with a 
floral tribute. 

It has been our privilege to mark the grave of Jacob Edic, 
father of one of our own Real Daughters. 

Our Regent, Mrs. Henry Roberts, spoke at the unveiling 
of the monument at Sackett's Harbor last May. And last 
September three graves were marked at Deerfield. A marker 
was also placed upon the grave of our hero. Commodore 
Melancthan Taylor Woolsey. Very impressive services were 
held. President Stryker of Hamilton College, a grandson of 
the Commodore giving a most loving tribute. 

The grave of Pomeroy Jones, father of another Real 
Daughter was marked in the cemetery at Lairdsville. And 
the committee has several others ready to mark the coming 
summer. 

13 



NORTHERN FRONTIER CHAPTER No. 7 
MISS HARRIET BATES FAIRBANKS. Regent 

This Chapter is not quite three years old and has one 
hundred and five members, thirty of whom are Real Daughters 
who have been made honorary members by the Chapter. 

The special work of the Chapter for the past year has 
been to collect data and records of all Real Daughters. 

In May, nineteen hundred fourteen, this Chapter, with 
the help of the State was able to erect at Sackett's Harbor, 
with military honors, a beautiful and expensive monument, 
commemorating tlie memory of the soldiers and sailors who 
fought there one hundred years ago. 

This Chapter is preparing this spring to place fifty 
markers over the graves of as many soldiers of 1812. 



GENERAL BENJAMIN MOOERS CHAPTER No. 8 
MRS. GEORGE F. TUTTLE. Regent 

Our organization participated in the celebration in 
September attending the religious services and the memorial 
services in the cemetery, the regent being the author of the 
inscription on the tablet there erected. Flags of silk were 
also provided for the graves of the patriotic buried there. 
The members also took part in the historical pageant and with 
the Daughters of the American Revolution gave a public re- 
ception in an historic house. As we are only a few months 
old we have had little chance to erect monuments, etc. 



STATE OF LOUISIANA 

Organized 1893 
MRS. GEORGE B. STEM. President 

The United State Daughters 1776-1812 have been 
instrumental in completing and maintaining the Chalmette 
Monument and its grounds. The monument was dedicated 
and unveiled on January 8, 1915, the Centennial Anniversary 
of the Battle of New Orleans. 

14 



This is the beloved work which engages the attention of 
"Louisiana" to preserve for posterity this Monument com- 
pleted by the United States Government and the State of 
Louisiana. 



STATE OF MICHIGAN 

Organized 1894 
MRS. JAMES H. CAMPBELL. President 

The Society has erected to Major General Alexander 
Macomb, a superb monument, unveiled in Detroit, at a cost 
of $12,000. 

Donated to the Memorial Window in England. 

Fifty dollars subscribed toward a monument to General 
Alpheus Williams hero of the Civil War, to be erected in 
Detroit. 

Twenty-five dollars to the fire sufferers of northern 
Michigan. 

Twenty-five dollars to the East Side Settlement, Detroit. 

Fifteen dollars to the Italian Settlement, Detroit. 

Two hundred and fifty dollars to the George Washington 
Memorial Fund. 

Furnished a room in the Tuberculosis Sanitorium, Detroit, 
in memory of Mrs. Alfred Russell, the first President. 

Several 1812 graves have been marked with our markers 
and with flags each year. 

Have participated in the public Flag Day Services for 
eight years. 

Have published the roster of the Society with the ancestry 
of each member. 

Have presented Mrs. B. L. Whitney, our former Presi- 
dent, for eight years, a beautiful silver salver and loving cup, 
as a tribute to her work and leadership. 

The Society has many valuable relics and gifts. A 
beautiful silken flag was presented by the late, dearly loved 

15 



Vice-President, Mrs. Catharine Rainey. It has numbered 
nine Real Daughters in its membership. 

A Hfe size portrait of the founder, Mrs. Flora Adams 
Darling, presented by her, was hung in the Detroit Museum 

of Art. 

Have given lectures and programmes at the two Settle- 
ments in Detroit. 

A bronze tablet in memory of the sailors of the Battle- 
ship Maine to be placed in the new library in the City of 
Detroit. 

A book-plate to the Michigan University of the restored 
seal of the State. 

A memorial flag lecture in memory of Mrs. Emily Norvell 
Walker, a Real Daughter. 

The restoration of the first constitution of the State, 
which was thought to be beyond repair, and most beautifully 
bound in book form. The work was done by our President, 
Mrs. James H. Campbell. 



STATE OF PENNSYLVANIA 

Organized 1896 
MISS MARTHA MdNNES. President 

The Pennsylvania Society was organized in 1896 by Mrs. 
Louis W. Hall, of Harrisburg, and unlike some of the other 
States was organized as Chapters. 

The Dolly Madison, organized in 1897, being the first 
under Mrs. Sullivan Johnson, as Regent and also the largest 
in the State. It has a long record of splendid achievements, 
both in its patriotic and civic work; distributing patriotic 
primers in the public schools of Pittsburgh, and a flag was 
given to the kindergarten school. Many books were sent for 
the use of the soldiers in camp and ninety "housewives" made 
and sent to soldiers, also fruit, books and money. 

Ten dollars was given for medals for the 10th Regiment, 
$31.00 for care of sick children of soldiers, who were in the 

16 



Philippines and large donations of books sent to Manila and 
to Cuba. Material was given for flags to be made by Italian 
children in the various schools. $25.00 for the McKinley 
Memorial and $50.00 given to purchase a loving cup for 
the battleship "Pennsylvania." 

A protrait of Andrew Jackson was loaned to the Naval 
Home in Brooklyn, which was furnished by the N. S. U. S. D. 
1812. Thousands of bunches of flowers were distributed each 
year to summer play ground children, $10.00 to buy games for 
Arsenal Park play ground where in 1910 a beautiful drinking 
fountain was erected at a cost of $1,100.00 to mark the spot 
where the Allegheny Arsenal stood, and from which was sent 
out ammunition, etc., during the War of 1812. The old 
Arsenal was a store depot for Perry's fleet on Lake Erie and for 
General W. H. Harrison's army in northern Ohio. In 1908 the 
Chapter affiliated itself with the Red Cross Society. A girls' 
room in the George Junior Republic at Grove City, Penna., 
was furnished. Fifty dollars was given towards a scholar- 
ship in the Woman's Medical School of Western University. 
The Chapter has a magazine committee that has distributed 
hundreds of magazines to charitable organizations and hos- 
pitals. The Mary Hillman Memorial Scholarship has been 
established by Mrs. J. H. Hillman in the name of the Dolly 
Madison Chapter, for the support of a Kentucky Mountain 
girl, at Hindman, Ky. To Dr. Chapman is given each year 
for her philanthropic work among the needy descendants of 
soldiers of 1812, the sum of $100.00. 

In May, 1914, a beautiful sun-dial, costing $155.00 was 
erected in Schenley Park, in memory of the Pittsburgh Blues, 
a company which went out from Pittsburgh. 

The Keystone Chapter the second organized under Mrs. 
Hall, has a large and steadily increasing membership, doing 
a great amount of literary, educational and philanthropic work. 

In October, 1911, they unveiled a tablet on the site of old 
Camp Curtin, at Harrisburg, where troops were mobilized 
during the Civil War. 

17 



In June of 1914, in conjunction with the local D. A. R. 
they placed a memorial tablet on the gateway of Old Silver 
Spring Cemetery and a supplemental tablet bearing the names 
of soldiers buried there who fought in the War of 1812. 

Old Ironsides Chapter was organized in 1900 by Mrs. 
Hall, then State President with Mrs. Wm. Harrity, as Regent, 
and through her the Chapter collected many valuable relics, 
one being a portion of wood from the original ship Consti- 
tution — Old Ironsides. 

Subscriptions to popular magazines were sent to the sea- 
men at the Philadelphia Navy Yard, also books and periodicals. 
In 1912 this Chapter being handicapped by a scattered member- 
ship concluded to give up their Chapter, twelve of their 
number joining the General Robert Patterson Chapter. 

The General Robert Patterson Chapter was organized in 
Philadelphia on January 9, 1905. 

This Chapter has always been to the fore in historical and 
philanthropic work, being much interested in the work of the 
Soldiers and Sailors Home in Philadelphia, and giving largely 
to this cause, and helping in the care of the Real Daughters. 
The executive power and thorough capability of this Regent 
and then State President, Mrs. S. P. S. Mitchell, was shown 
in the splendid manner in which the Year Book was compiled, 
giving the names of all the ancestors of members with 
dates of birth and death and tlie name and address of each 
member. 

The Stephen Decatur Chapter was organized at Philadel- 
phia on April 5, 1906. It had eleven charter members. 
Activities and charitable and historical work have been main- 
tained. 

It has two Real Daughters, Mrs. J. Kames and Mrs. M. 
F. Ogborn. 

Our Chapter maintains a scrap book which proves a con- 
stant source of reference. 

A permanent fund derived from contributions and enter- 

18 



tainments will eventually be used for establishing a permanent 
home and meeting place for the Chapter. 

On December 26, 1906, Mrs. Whitman, a Real Daughter 
and then Vice-Regent, now deceased, presented the Chapter 
with an ivory gavel. Caldwell & Company, the jewellers of 
Philadelphia, gave us a replica of Stephen Decatur, incased in 
a mahogany frame. It was a profile as used on the silverware 
of the ship "Pennsylvania." 

This Chapter has contributed to the Washington Memorial 
Fund, to Dr. Millie J. Chapman, and on October 25, 1912, 
with appropriate ceremonies, placed a tablet to the memory 
of Stephen Decatur at the Navy Yard, Philadelphia ; the date 
is the anniversary of the capture of the ship "Macedonia." 
The tablet is bronze', three feet high, and two feet wide, it has 
an outline bust of Decatur and the inscription is the toast 
given at the banquet given at Norfolk, Va., April, 1816. 

"Our Country — in her intercourse with foreign nations, 

May she always be right, 

But our Country — right or wrong." 

We made up a box for Belgian sufferers, one hundred 
yards of muslin bandages for the Red Cross, and contributed 
money to the Open Air Class of tubercular children, to the 
Emergency Fund, and clothing for home relief. 

We continue the custom of placing a wreath with the 
Chapter colors on the tomb of Commodore Decatur on the 
anniversary of his birth, January 5th, and send flowers to all 
members in illness and death. 

The State President, thinking that work done by the 
Chapters is always more efficacious and of wider interest, has 
not undertaken any strictly State work until the call came for 
aid from stricken Beligum, when an earnest appeal brought 
a quick and generous respone and a large sum of money 
and tw^o hundred yards of muslin made into bandages was 
sent to the American Red Cross Society for the Belgium 
relief. 

19 



STATE OF MARYLAND 

Organized 1900 
MRS. JAMES D. IGLEHART. President 

The work of the Daughters of 1812 in the State of Mary- 
land in the past year has been far-reaching, having gone into 
many lines. Through great good judgment and knowledge 
of parliamentary law, our honored President, Mrs. J. D. 
Iglehart has carried us through the most trying time of our 
Society, and the year of 1914-15 has been a most sucessful 
one, we having added thirty-six new members. In the early 
spring of 1914, Miss Harriet P. Marine, our Recording Secre- 
tary, gave us a dramatic reading of Stephen Phillips' "Paolo 
and Francesca," at which time we realized about eighty-five 
dollars. Later in the spring, through the courtesy of the 
"Crescentia Players," a club formed from the "Bard Avon 
Alumnae Association," Miss Marine, President, and under the 
patronage of our Daughters of 1812, we had added to our 
exchequer between six and seven hundred dollars. 

We have secured three English cannons that our British 
foes forgot to take with them at their defeat at North Point 
in 1814, and we will mount the same in some prominent 
position in our city. One cannon will be in honor of General 
Samuel Smith, one in memory of Judge Joseph Nicholson, a 
Commander at Fort McHenry at the time of the bombardment, 
and one to Commodore Joshua Bumey. During the summer 
of 1914, we had many special meetings, the ladies coming in 
from their summer homes to help our President make arrange- 
ments for the celebration in September. During the week of 
September 12th, our President, ably assisted by her officers 
and members, kept open house at the Hotel Belvedere, where 
Mrs. Iglehart was in attendance each day. Our roster shows 
the names of many visiting Daughters of the American 
Revolution as well as Daughters of 1812 from all over the 
Nation. This little book will long be treasured as a valuable 
asset to our Society Archives. On the evening of September 

20 



11th, our Society gave a handsome reception to our visiting 
members in the ball-room of the Belvedere. Owing to the 
late bereavement of Mrs. Iglehart, she was not with us that 
evening, but Mrs. William Reed, President of the Colonial 
Dames and one of our members, assisted by the other officers 
of our Society and the National Officers received the guests. 
On the evening of September 12th, the Sons of the War of 1812 
gave a most delightful banquet in honor of the Daughters of 
1812 in Maryland and the visiting Daughters. There were 
present guests from all over the United States and I doubt 
if ever there was a handsomer banquet given in our city. 

Owing to a misunderstanding with our City Fathers, we 
were unable to mount our cannon during that week, but we 
will do so in the near future. 

In October we celebrated Columbus Day at the country 
home of Mrs. Ross Halloway. 

We gave $5.00 to a scholarship given to a little girl in 
St. Mary's County, a descendant of a hero of the War of 1812, 
called the "Francis Scott Key Scholarship." 

Committees w^ere formed to help collect exhibits which 
were sent to the Exposition in California. 

The February meeting was a memorial service for our 
late Registrar, Mrs. Alford Hadel. The Historian, Mrs. 
Sadtler, spoke of dear Mrs. Hadel's most beautiful Hfe, of 
her devotion to the cause of the Daughters of 1812, her long, 
efficient service of 15 years to the same, and what a void her 
going made in our Society. Mrs. Homburg read some beauti- 
ful resolutions drawn up by her on Mrs. Hadel's death, these 
resolutions to be spread on the minutes, and copies to be sent 
to Mrs. Hadel's friends. Mr. Wm. F. Childs sang most 
delightfully two solos: "Heaven is my Home" and Mrs. 
Hadel's favorite hymn, "Abide With Me." Mrs. Iglehart 
spoke most feelingly of her Registrar and how her going would 
be felt by her as well as all the Society. Mrs. Iglehart offered 
some resolutions that she had drawn up, in accepting the new 
"City Flag"as it had been presented to the City by the com- 

21 



mittee. The Society unanimously accepted the Flag as pre- 
sented, and since then each member has received a replica of 
the Flag, with these resolutions printed on the back. 

In November we had a card party at which we realized 
$85.00. 



STATE OF OHIO 

Organized 1900 
MRS. STELLA H. JACOBL President 

Contributed to the National Society for the Home Fund, 
$50.00; for the Memorial Window, Dartmoor, Devonshire, 
England, $85.00. 

A bronze tablet was placed on the monument erected by 
the citizens of Port Clinton, Ohio. This monument marks 
the nortliern terminus of the Harrison trail. 

Another bronze tablet was placed on the monument erect- 
ed by the Honorable Joshua Reed Giddings, at Marblehead. 
Ohio, in memory of thirty-seven comrades who fell in battle 
near that place in the War of 1812, thus marking the spot of 
the first conflict of arms on Ohio soil. 

On behalf af the Society Mrs. Charles Burt Tozier, State 
Vice-President, accepted the Perry Victory monument, un- 
veiled at Hotel Victory Park, August 5, 1907. 

This bronze monument was erected by private subscrip- 
tions, to commemorate Commodore Perry's Victory in the 
I'attle of Lake Erie, September 10, 1813. 

Vice-President and Mrs. Fairbanks and Governor Harris 
were present, there was a naval parade by war vessels of the 
great lakes, and a land drill by sailors of United States revenue 
cutters. 

A quit-claim deed of a plat of land twenty feet by twenty 
feet was given the Society by the Kelley Island Lime and 
Transport Company ; this land is located at Marblehead, Ohio, 
upon which is the monument erected by the Honorable Joshua 
Reed Giddings; this lot was filled in, the letters re-cut, the 

22 



monument re-set upon a granite base, grass seed sown and the 
lot enclosed by a bronze fence, before the tablet (noted above) 
was placed. 

Between two and three hundred graves were located and 
records verified, many of which proved to be records for the 
Revolutionary War. One hundred and fifty or more of tliese 
records have been verified by the War Department or Pension 
Records and are complete as to birth, death, burial place and 
service. 

PETER NAVARRE CHAPTER 
Toledo, Ohio 

Contributed tlirough the State Society to the Dartmoor 
Memorial Window and to the fund for the improving of the 
lot and monument at Marblehead, Ohio. 

Gave fifty dollars ($50.00) to the fund for a monument to 
Peter Navarre, located in Navarre Park, Toledo, Ohio. 

During the Perry Victory Centennial the Chapter exhibit- 
ed relics of the War of 1812 in the Art Museum in a room 
especially designed for them. 

Graves of the soldiers of the War of 1812 have been 
located and marked, and records verified. 

COMMODORE PERRY CHAPTER 
Cleveland, Ohio 

Contributed to the George Washington Memorial Fund, 
twenty-seven dollars ($27.00), and to a fund (local) for the 
observance of Perry Day. 

United with the Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry 
Association in services held in Wade Park, September 10, 
1911. 

A wreath of flowers is always placed on the Perry 
Statue each anniversary of his victory on Lake Erie. 

By request of the committe on Patriotic Education many 
of the branch libraries told the story of Perry and his life to 
the children during the story telling hour. 

23 



A large patriotic picture was presented to the school con- 
nected with the Boys' Detention Home ; a brass plate in the 
corner of the frame states that it is "Loaned by the N. S. 
U. S. D. of 1812, State of Ohio, Cleveland Chapter." 

At the request of the Western Reserve Historical Society 
five volumes of pension records have been bound in blue 
buckram. 

The committee on Genealogical Library made a copy of 
the 4th Regiment, 3rd Brigade, 4th Division of Ohio Militia, 
War of 1812. This copy was taken from an old record book, 
and is certified to by the President of Western Reserve His- 
torical Society, Wallace H. Cathcart. This roster is not on 
file in Washington, D. C, or the Adjutant General's Office at 
Columbus, Ohio. 

The Charter of Commodore Perry Chapter, bearing the 
signatures of forty-three members, ten of whom are Real 
Daughters, was framed and placed with the Historical Society. 

The year book (Centennial year) bound was given to the 
President National, Mrs. William Gerry Slade, Western Re- 
serve Historical Society, Case Library, Reference Room of 
Public Library, Perry Centennial Commission, Cleveland 
Centennial Commission. A year book (Centennial year was 
given to Mayor Newton D. Baker, Historian National. 

The Chapter has always assisted in the work of The 
Independence Day Association. 

Graves of soldiers of the War of 1812 have been located 
and many markers placed. Many more records are complete, 
having been verified by the War Department, or Pension 
Records, and have dates of birth, death, place of burial and 
service. 

PERRY CENTENNIAL COMMISSION 

The Past President of tlie Ohio Society and Founder of 
Commodore Perry Chapter, Mrs. Charles Burt Tozier, was 
appointed a member of tiie Inter-City Commission by the 
Mayor of Cleveland, Newton D. Baker; later the plan of co- 

24 



operation was abandoned and the Cleveland members reorgan- 
ized as the Cleveland Centennial Commission in 1913. Mrs. 
Tozier was reappointed by the Mayor as a member of this 
Commission of twenty, she being the only woman. The Com- 
mission appointed Mrs. Tozier Chairman of Women's Organ- 
izations. 

The Society was represented by its National President, 
Mrs. William Gerry Slade, at the banquet at Hotel Breakers, 
Cedar Point, Sandusky, Ohio, on the evening of September 
10, 1913, under the auspices of the Commissioners appointed 
by the President of the United States and Governors of ten 
States, in connection with the National and Inter-State 
Observance of the One Hundredth Anniversary of the Battle 
of Lake Erie and of General William Harrison's Northwestern 
Campaign in the War of 1812. 

At this banquet the speakers were former President 
William H. Taft, Doctor James A. Macdonald, representing 
Canada, Lieutenant General Nelson A. Miles, U. S. A. retired, 
the Governors of nine States and Mrs. William Gerry Slade, 
President National, who responded to "Our Society and Its 
Work." 

The following morning the steamer Olcutt, which had 
previously been chartered for the use of the distinguished 
guests, conveyed them to Put-in-Bay for the exercises in con- 
nection with the removal from their present graves of the 
bones of the American and British officers killed in the Battle 
of Lake Erie, to the crypt of the Perry Memorial, where they 
were re-interred with international honors. 

The funeral cortege was escorted by Colonel Harry Cut- 
ler, of Rhode Island, with a staff composed of the leading 
naval and militar}^ representatives of the participating states; 
during these ceremonies minute guns were sounded from the 
ships in the harbor and the bells of Put-in-Bay Island were 
tolled. 

From Put-in-Bay, Mrs. Slade and Miss M. Louise Edge, 
First Vice-President National, who accompanied her during 

25 



the trij), arrived in Cleveland as the guests of Mrs. Tozier and 
State President, Mrs. Charles H. Smith. 

A naval parade, consisting of Naval Militia Vessels, Pas- 
senger Boats, Freighters, Tugs and Yachts, met the Flagship 
Niagara and escorted her to the pier. Our National officers 
and Daughters of the Society were among the invited guests 
on board the U. S. S. Dorothea which led the Escort Fleet. 

The Ohio Society held a reception on board the Flagship 
Niagara, assisting our President National in receiving the 
guests. 

A reception was given at the Hollenden Hotel, September 
I5th by the Women's Organizations. Mrs. Slade was in the 
receiving line with other distinguished guests. 

;September 16th was known as Women's Day and the 
"Progress of Women" was told by representative women ; our 
National President responding to "Patriotism." 

Commodore Perry Chapter entertained Mrs, Slade and 
Miss Edge at a beautifully appointed luncheon. They were 
on the reviewing stand when the Real Daughters in two 
automobiles bearing the banner "Our Fathers Fought in the 
War of 1812" and floats representing the Society, passed by. 

The State President, Mrs. Smith, visited the Niagara at 
Lorain, Ohio, and presented a silk flag of 1812 to Captain 
Morrison of the Flagship. 

Another silk flag of 1812 and a year book (Centennial 
year) of Commodore Perry Chapter was placed in the steel 
box which was placed in the cornerstone of the Perry Mem- 
orial, together with the autograph letters from the President 
of the United States, Woodrow Wilson, and former President, 
William H. Taft, and historical documents contributed by 
Perry Commissioners of the ten States participating in the 
celebration. 



26 



STATE OF MAINE 

Organized 1900 
MRS. L. M. LEIGHTON, Pres{dent 

Since its organization, May 1, 1900, the Society has pre- 
sented to the Willard School, South Portland, a large steel 
engraving, subject, "Commodore Perry's Victory on Lake 
Erie." The picture was hung in the room of Miss Margaret 
Pilsbury, a teacher who was a member of the Society. Date 
of presentation May, 1905. 

On May 14, 1908, a pine tree was placed in the Old 
Eastern Cemetery on the site of the old pine tree, where under 
the shade of its branches rested many of th brave soldiers who 
fought in the War of 1812 and which was burned in the great 
fire of 1866. 

In May, 1909, a boulder was placed near the tree on which 
there is to be placed a tablet with an appropriate inscription 
to mark the spot where our heores are buried. 

On June 19, 1912, commemorative exercises were held in 
the Church of the Messiah, celebrating the centenary of the 
declaration of war with Great Britain, June 19, 1812, with an 
address by Robert E. Peary, Rear Admiral United States 
Navy, our State of Maine Hero. Music by U. S. Coast 
Artillery Band, Fort Williams. 

Following these exercises a tablet was placed on the 
boulder in the Old Eastern Cemetery with the following 
inscription : 

On this hallowed spot under the Old Pine Tree 
where many of the first settlers of Portland were buried, 
The National Society United States Daughters of 1812 
State of Maine, place here this boulder and tablet in 
memory of the brave soldiers and sailors whe served 
their country in the War of 1812 and maintained our 
independence, June, 1812. Boulder and tablet were pre- 
sented to the City of Portland. 

On September 13, 1913, exercises were held at the home 
of the President, Mrs. L. M. Leighton celebrating the one 

27 



hundredth anniversary of the battle between the Enterprise 
and Boxer, fought in Portland Harbor. The graves of 
Captain Burrows of the Enterprise and Captain Blythe of the 
Boxer also the grave of Lieutenant Waters were appropriately 
decorated with flowers, with the English and American flags 
floating side by side. 

In the year 1812, a prize of ten dollars was awarded to the 
pupils of the grammar schools for the best essay on the War 
of 1812. ♦ 

Twenty-six new grave markers were placed in the Old 
Eastern Cemetery. 

On February 17, 1915, the Society celebrated the one 
hundred years of Peace between the United States and Great 
Britain with a large meeting in Portland City Hall, it being the 
anniversary of the ratification of the Treaty of Peace by the 
United States Senate, February 17, 1815. 

Four hundred school children sang peace songs and an 
illustrated lecture "100 Years of Peace," was given by Dr. 
James L. Tryon, of Boston, Director New England Depart- 
ment American Peace Society. There was also an address 
by Major John B. Keating, British Vice-Consul. 



STATE OF WISCONSIN 

Organized 1901 
MRS. CHARLES CATLIN. Late Presfdent to February 1915 

The Society numbers 86 — nine being Real Daughters. 
Mrs. Charles Catlin, w^ho died in February, 1915, had been 
the President since 1902, was Second Vice-President and 
Chairman of Patriotism of the National Society. A dearly 
beloved, honored member, a most efficient officer and a woman 
of the highest character and lovable nature. Her loss has 
been keenly felt by the entire Society. 

The Wisconsin Society has participated in many patriotic 
and philanthropic undertakings and has contributed generously 
to the following: 

28 



Furnishing a room in a building erected in Brooklyn for 
disabled mariners. 

To the McKinley Monument. It was the request of our 
Society that the name "McKinley Park" was given to Mil- 
waukee's popular bathing beach, in memory of the late Presi- 
dent McKinley. 

A beautiful flag was presented by Mrs. Catlin to St. 
Paul's Mission, and the presentation speech was made by 
General Charles King. Mrs. Catlin also presented for the 
Society a prize for "Heaving the Lead," on the United States 
Training Ship "St. Mary's," of the New York Nautical School. 
The purpose of this institution is the training of boys to be- 
come officers of the Merchant Marine. 

Graves of soldiers and sailors of the War of 1812 have 
been appropriately marked and cared for by the Society. 

Wisconsin contributed handsomely toward the memorial 
window in the Church of St. Michael, Dartmoor, England, and 
to the George Washington Memorial Building. This sum 
was later used for the Star Spangled Banner Memorial Tablet 
in Baltimore. At that time Mrs. Catlin became a charter 
member from Wisconsin of the Star Spangled Banner Associa- 
tion of America. 

On Memorial Day, 1913, we presented to the Abraham 
Lincoln Settlement ? large flag with standard. 

A contribution to the Gushing Monument in Waukesha 
has been pledged by the Society and a flag-pole to the Forest 
Home Avenue Public School. 

Wisconsin was the first State patriotic organization to 
celebrate the centenar}^ of Perry's Victory. In January, 1912, 
the Society entertained at the residence of the President. 
Addresses were given by officers of the Army and Navy who 
were present as the Society's guests, and Rear Admiral 
Simonds, U. S. N., State Chairman of the Perry Centennial 
Commission, extended an invitation to the U. S. D. 1812 of 
Wisconsin, to co-operate with the Commission in its plans for 

29 



the celebration of the following year. The President, Mrs. 
Catlin, was appointed second Vice-President of the Wisconsin 
Commission. Throughout the celebration the U. S. D. 1812 
participated in the various features and served on all the com- 
mittees in charge of the program. Two of the cups awarded 
as prizes in the automobile parade were presented by the 
President and Vice-President of the Society; prizes were 
offered for the best essays on Perry's Victory written by 
children of the trades schools and settlements ; hundreds of 
flags were distributed among the children at the celebrations 
in the parks. 



STATE OF VERMONT 

Organized 1901 
MRS. ARTHUR G. ISHAM. President 

Vermont has placed a bronze tablet in the State House 
in Montpelier, October, 1908. 

Another at the University of Vermont in Burlington, 
during the Centenary Celebration. 

Contributed the largest amount per capita of the three 
societies, i. e. : D. A. R., Colonial Dames of Vermont and 
Daughters 1812 for a marker on Isle LaMotte in honor of 
Seth Warner and Remember Baker. 

Contributed to the Dartmoor Memorial Window, 
England. 

Joined with G. A. R., D. A. R. and others in making the 
"Old Camp Ground" in Brattleboro. 

Placed markers on several graves of 1812 soldiers and 
sailors, notably Captain Horace B. Sawyer and Joseph 
Barron. 

Held a celebration in the State House, Montpelier, to 
commemorate the centenary of the Great War Meeting held 
in the Old State House, Montpelier, October 13, 1812, when 
it was voted to organize and equip troops for defense. 

30 



STATE OF NEW JERSEY 

Organized 1901 
MRS. MATHIAS STEELMAN. President 

Since its organization, December 1, 1901, the New Jersey 
Society has presented the following: 

To Public School No. 11, Jersey City, a beautifully 
illuminated copy of the Declaration of Independence, hand- 
somely framed, the inscription reading: "Presented by the 
National Society, United States Daughters 1812, State of 
New Jersey." 

To the Free Public Library of Jersey City, four volumes 
of "Militar}^ Minutes of the Council of Appointment of the 
State of New York," the fly leaf of each being marked with 
a suitable inscription. 

To Wallace House, Somerville, New Jersey, once the 
home of General Washington and his wife, a large steel en- 
graving, 34x38, entitled "Lady Washington's Reception." 

Also to the Wallace House, Somerville, New Jersey, a 
large steel engraving, 34x38, entitled "Washington and his 
Generals." 

Official grave markers have been placed on many graves 
of 1812 soldiers. 

To the School at Illeo, Philippine Islands, a large x\meri- 
can Flag for use on girls' dormitory. 

Yearly scholarship in Southern Industrial Schools. 

Barrels and boxes of books and clothing and china to 
Mrs. Isaac Messler's School at McKee, Kentucky. 

Large bronze tablet placed in Bainbridge House at 
Princeton, to mark the birthplace of Commodore William 
Bainbridge. This was a gift to Princeton University. 

A large American Flag was also given this interesting 
old house. 

Many scarce books and relics have been placed in 1812 
case in Museum of Jersey City Public Library. 

Framed picture of flag carried at the Battle of New 

31 



Orleans, only one known to be in our State, presented to the 
Ciierry Street School, Elizabeth, New Jersey. 

Resolutions sent in commemoration of the one hundredth 
birthday of the Star Spangled Banner. 

Captain James Lawrence Chapter, of Haddonfield, New 
Jersey, has marked 1812 soldiers graves with official grave 
markers in Camden County. 

Also fitted out a company of boy scouts with uniforms. 



STATE OF MISSOURI 

Organized 1901 
MISS EMMA WEBSTER POWELL. President 

During the fourteen years of its existence, the State of 
Missouri has done the following memorial work : 

STATE SOCIETY 

Organized six Chapters ; have seven forming. 

Marked six graves. 

Cared for several needy Real Daughters. 

Given two scholarships. School of the Ozarks. 

Contributed to the fund for Star Spangled Banner Monu- 
ment erected in Baltimore, September 12, 1914. 

h>ected a handsome bronze tablet, allegorical in nature, 
4x3 feet in size, to the men of Missouri, who were prominent 
(luring the 1812 period, with an additional tablet bearing one 
hundred names. This tablet was placed in the building of the 
Missouri Historical Society, in St. Louis. Mo. 

JAMES KEARNEY CHAPTER 

Contributed lifty dollars toward the Star Spangled Ban- 
ner Monument erected in Baltimore. 

Contributed twenty-five dollars toward bronze tablet 
erected by State Society. 

32 



Created an annual fund of twenty dollars for needy Real 
Daughters and for educational purposes. 
Marked six graves. 

GEORGE BUCKNER FANT CHAPTER 

Marked four graves. 

Held four memorial meetings. 

One meeting, when the graves were marked, was devoted 
to services and biographies in memory of the four 1812 
soldiers whose graves were marked. One meeting was in 
honor of the Star Spangled Banner and was held at same 
time of the celebration in Baltimore, September, 1914. One 
meeting was on Memorial Day, and consisted in services at 
a church and a visit to the cemetery to decorate the graves 
of the four 1812 soldiers. One meeting was in honor of the 
three Real Daughters of the Chapter, and a photograph of 
the three Real Daughters was taken for the archives of the 
Chapter. 

JOHN GRIFFIS CHAPTER 

Marked two graves ; located four others. 

Sketches of fourteen 1812 soldiers sent to Historical 
Society. 

Contributed twenty-five dollars that the name of Nathan 
Boone be added to the scroll of fame on Missouri tablet to 
1812 soldiers. 

SPENCER McCLURE CHAPTER 

Marked one grave. 

Contributed five dollars toward the memorial tablet of 
Missouri. 

Contributed toward the Red Cross Fund. 

RUSSELL LEWIS CHAPTER 



Marked one grave. 



33 



STATE OF GEORGIA 

Organized 1901 
MISS NINA HORNADAY. President 

The United States Daughters 1812 of Georgia have offer- 
ed prizes both in the Grammar and High Schools of Atlanta, 
for historical work in connection with the War of 1812. 

We have also given medals to the boys in the High 
School who have developed best physically. 

We have made frequent contributions to patriotic under- 
takings and have united with the Ladies' Memorial Associ- 
ation in honoring our sacred dead who fell in the War 
between the States. 

Lately we gave gave a small sum to the Joseph Haber- 
sham Chapter D. A. R., for their projected Chapter House. 

Perhaps our most important work was when we waged 
a campaign in 1913 for better protection for birds. It 
occupied us for several months and we have the honor and 
glory of knowing that it is considered the best campaign ever 
made by women. Certainly the results have been good. 

The President of the U. S. D. 1812 is always invited to 
be an honor guest at the State Conferences of the D. A. R. 
and there she always tries to convince the D. A. R. that the 
War of 1812 was the decisive war for American Independence. 

Twice tlie State President has had the privilege of enter- 
taining the National President, Mrs. William Gerry Slade. 
On both occasions Mrs. Slade had presented to her, the 
women who hold foremost places in Georgia in women's 
organizations, as well as the U. S. D. 1812. These are 
memorable events in the history of the Georgia division. 
Our National President received more honors and attention 
than any woman guest Atlanta has ever had. She won many 
hearts and the respect and admiration of all who met her. 
As the honor guest at the Executive Mansion she met the 
representative men and women of the State, and she is still 
with them a bright and pleasant memory. 

34 



STATE OF COLORADO 

Organized 1902 
MRS. FRANK WHEATON. President 

1905. Family Bible to "Aunty Bliss," survivor of the 

of the War of 1812 on her 101st birthday, 

December 30, 1905 $ 5.00 

For Rest Room with other patriotic societies 
during the G. A. R. Encampment, Septem- 
ber, 1905 5.00 

1906. Silver Loving Cup to U. S. S. Colorado, Janu- 

ary 8, 1906 40.00 

To Japanese Famine Fund, March 1906 50.00 

Prize to Franklin School, Denver, June, 1906. . 5.00 
Marker on grave of soldier of War 1812, 

Greely, November, 1906 5.00 

1907. Crib in Children's Hospital, Denver, January 

1907 20.00 

To Girls' Friendly Society, Holyday House, 

January, 1907 25.00 

To Monument to General Alexander Macomb, 

at Detroit, Mich., January, 1907 25.00 

Silk Shawl to "Aunty Bliss" for her 102nd 

birthday, December 30, 1906 3.00 

1908. Chair for Soldiers Rest Room, Denver, Febru- 

ary 12, 1908 5.00 

Francis Scott Key Mansion, Washinton, D. C, 

May, 1908 3.00 

Prize to Garfield School, Colorado Springs, 

June, 1908 5.00 

Flag and staff to Italian Neighborhood House, 

Denver, November, 1908 10.00 

Italian Earthquake Sufferers, November, 1908. . 25.00 
To "Aunty Bliss" on her 103rd and last birth- 
day, a sofa cushion, December 30, 1907. . . . 3.00 
Christmas gifts to Civil War Veterans, Denver. . 10.00 

1909. Towards window in St. George's Church, Dart- 

moor, England, February, 1909 25.00 

For flowers on graves of Soldiers at Monte 

Vista, Memorial Day 5.00 

Prize to Corona School, Denver, June, 1909... 5.00 

35 



To Mrs. Louise Call, Real Daughter of War 

of 1812, in need of help, November, 1909. . 10.00 

1910. Civil War Veterans, Christmas gifts, December 

1910 10.00 

To Patriotic League 5.00 

To Children's Hospital, April, 1910 35.00 

To Mrs. Louise Call during year, 1910 50.00 

1911. To George Washington Memorial Fund, No- 

vember, 1911 25.00 

To Civil Wai Nurses for Christmas, December, 

1911 10.00 

Patriotic League, 191 1 5.00 

Prize to School at Greely, June, 191 1 5.00 

1912. To Civil W^ar Nurses at Christmas, 1912 10.00 

To George Washington Memorial Building, 

November, 1912 25.00 

1913. Wedding gift of Insignia to Miss Nichols, now 

Mrs. Wm. V. Mullin, June 7, 1913 5.00 

Celebration of Battle of Plattsburgh, Septem- 
ber 11, 1913 29.55 

To George Washington Memorial Building, 

November, 1913 25.00 

To Civil War Nurses for Christmas, Decem- 
ber, 1913 10.00 

1914. Maine Tablet in Public Library, May 3, 1914. . 45.14 

Christmas gifts to Civil War Nurses 5.00 

Barrell of flour to Belgium War Sufferers, 

May, 1914 5.00 

Prize to School at Boulder, June 4, 1914 5.00 

December 5, 1905. Colorado Society gave a military 
Euchre Party clearing for the loving cups for the 
U. S. S. Colorado 40.00 

November 6, 1906. The Society presened a play "The 
Spirit of 1812," written by its President, Mrs. 
Frank Wheaton, clearing for their work 180.00 

November 2, 1911. Mrs. James H. Brewster read for 

the Society her Incas Play, "Ollantay," clearing. 50.00 

$270.00 
40 active members. 

36 



STATE OF ILLINOIS 

Organized 1903 General Federation. 1903 

Incorporated 1907 
MRS. SAMUEL W. EARLE. President 

State Federation made a wider scope for Illinois work. 
The organizing President was Mrs. Robert Hall Wiles. 
During the twelve >ears of our existence, we have only had 
two Presidents. 

The early years of our organization were given out to 
tending and marking of graves throughout the State, which 
is larger in size than England, the first President being the 
National Chairman of the Grave Marking. 

One of the first achievements was putting an Act 
through the Legislature of Illinois for the prevention of using 
the American Flag for advertising. 

Illinois gave a substantial amount towards the payment 
of the Dartmoor Window, (England) which the National 
Society placed in memory of the prisoners of war. 

117 graves have been marked by the official bronze 
marker in Illinois. 

Our activities have been mostly along civic lines help- 
ing to support playgrounds and institutions in the State and 
City of Chicago. 

Flag presented to the "Gadshill Center" Playground, a 
settlement for foreign born children. 

We assist among the Patriotic Clubs, in various insti- 
tutions. 

The U. S. D. 1812 has purchased and presented fifteen 
framed pictures of "Betsy Ross and the Flag," with appro- 
priate exercises to Homes and Public Schools throughout the 
City of Chicago and the State. 

Over 100 volumes of books were donated to the Girls' 
High School at Iloilo, Philippine Islands. 

We are establishing a library in the Chinese Mission 
School in Chicago. We have purchased and placed in the 

37 



library many books on American History for the use of the 
Chinese boys, also a copy of Froebel's Kindergarten System, 
a translation from the German by Miss Josephine Jarvis, 
(our own Real Daughter). 

Illinois has given substantially to all demands from the 
National Society and the Daughters of 1812, and to all local 
and State demands, as far as she has been able. Paid $74.00 
towards the tablet in honor of the "Star Spangled Banner" 
and a similar amount to help Chicago entertain the Bi-ennial 
of Women's Clubs ; contributed towards Perry Centennial 
Celebration, having received Nation and State recognition at 
the time of the Perry Centennial Celebration in Chicago. 
We contributed to the Sarah Piatt Dicker Memorial to Long- 
fellow's Birthplace Association ; paid towards a Scholarship 
for Filipino girl. 

We presented a Flag and Flag-pole to the Cottage of 
Park Ridge (Illinois) School for Girls, also contributed 
towards Steel Flag-pole erected upon the top of Starved 
Rock, now the State Park of Illinois. 

We also contributed towards Lincoln Highway. We co- 
operated and worked with the Red Cross movement. 

Illinois established the Real Daughters Fund for the care 
of the less fortunate daughters and to place the names of 
all Real Daughters upon an Honor Roll without dues. 

We placed a Memorial Bronze Bas-relief in the State 
House, Springfield, the capital of Illinois, at a cost of $1200. 
This great achievement was procured from tlie Government 
of Illinois by a Commission of three members of the 
Daughters of 1812, appointed by the late Governor, of which 
Mrs. Robert Hall Wiles was chairman. 

We co-operated with the State in connection with the 
Child Labor Laws, and Segregation. 

The latest honor which has come to Illinois' Daughters 
of 1812 — our gift of the original plaster model of the 
memorial bas-relief to Illinois Soldiers of the War of 1812 
has been accepted l^y the "Grand Army Hall and Memorial 

38 



Association of Cook County," The Art Institute of Chicago, 
now has it on exhibition and will deliver it to Memorial Hall 
at the close of their exhibit. We expect to have formal 
unveiling exercises there, witli the prominent Grand Army 
men and members of other Patriotic Societies present. 

Mrs. Robert Kail Wiles, Chairman of the Memorial 
Committee of N. S. U. S. D. 1812, State of Illinois, General 
Walter R. Robbins and Mrs. S. W. Earle have the cere- 
monies in charge. 

The United States Daughters of 1812 of the State of 
Illinois are asking the Legislature of Illinois to pass an act 
to provide for the return of an Andrew Jackson Banner by 
the State of Illinois to the City of New Orleans, or to the 
State of Louisiana, to be kept in New Orleans. 

This hand-embroidered silk banner was made and pre- 
sented to General Andrew Jackson by the Ladies of New 
Orleans, December 30, 1814." It was carried victoriously 
through the Battle of New Orleans the following 8th of 
January. 

It was captured by Illinois cavalry in 1863, and is now 
in Memorial Hall, Springfield. Its return to New Orleans is 
asked in commemoration of fifty years of peace between 
North and South and one hundred years of peace with Great 
Britain since the Battle of New Orleans. 



STATE OF TEXAS 

Organized 1903 

MRS. MILTON MORRIS. President 

The Texas Daughters of 1812 have furnished a room 
in the Navy Club House at Valejo, California, also an elegant 
library table made of selected Texas wood. 

Ten dollar prizes have been awarded the best historical 
paper presented by a member of the senior class of the Austin 
High School. 

A donation was made to the Memorial Window, England. 

39 



A donation was made to the Daughters of the American 
Revolution scholarship fund in the University of Texas. 

Also a donation to the General Fund for the Andrew 
Jackson Highway. 

Two National bronze markers have been placed; one 
in the State Cemetery at Austin in honor of Lieutenant 
General John Wood, and the other near the Town of Bastrop, 
Texas, to mark the resting place of Chauncey Johnson, a 
patriot of the War of 1812. 

Much historical data has been collected and compiled by 
the historians. 

The Oliver Hazzard Perry Chapter at Austin, has hand- 
somely furnished the Writing Room in the Adone Seaman's 
Bethel, at Galveston, Texas. 

Assistance has been given to Red Cross work. 

Handsome loving cups have been presented to each of 
the retiring State Presidents. 

Celebrations with appropriate programmes have been 
held commemorating the Battle of Baltimore and the writing 
of the "Star Spangled Banner;" the Treaty of Peace signed 
at Ghent ; the Battle of New Orleans, and the Proclamation 
of the Treaty of Peace in America. 

We have assisted in the effort to have captured battle- 
flags returned to States from which they were taken. 

The organizing of a new Chapter in Dallas, Texas is 
in the making, and ere this goes to press we hope to have 
a flourishing Chapter there with Mrs. A. V. Lane as Regent. 

The insignia of our organization was presented to Mrs. 
T. A. Brown, who for a number of years was tlie faithful 
Treasurer of the State. 

Several articles have been written and published from 
time to time, in the leading pai)ers throughout the State, 
endeavoring to scatter seeds of patriotism witli the hopes of 
reaping rich harvest in the future. 



40 



DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA 

Organized 1903 
MRS. KATE KEARNEY HENRY, President 

The Society has performed the following work: 

Tablet in commemoration of the Signing of the Treaty 
of Ghent erected in the Octagon House in 1909. 

Yearly half payment of scholarship for boy in Mountain 
School of Tennessee. 

Yearly donation of gold medal to pupil in High School 
for best essay on subjects pertaining to War of 1812, with 
two second prizes for next best. 

Placing bronze markers over graves of soldiers of 1812. 



STATE OF DELAWARE 

Organized 1903 

MRS, THOMAS MUNN, President 

Unveiled a monument at Lewis, on June 2, 1914 to com- 
memorate the bombardment. 

Also unveiled a tablet on February 18, 1915, at Dover 
in memory of James Ashton Bayard, lawyer, statesman, 
diplomat and a Delawarian who signed the Treaty of Ghent. 



STATE OF KENTUCKY 

Organized 1904 
MRS. GEO. H. WILSON, Former President 

During the five years of existence of the Kentucky 
Society, a contribution was sent to the fund for the monu- 
ment to Major General Macomb, in Detroit. 

A Kentucky souvenir spoon to the National President 
for a birthday present. 

Twenty dollars ($20.00) to the fund for the memorial 
window at Dartmoor, England. 

41 



Bought a bed in the Home for Incurables in Louisville. 

Assisted in efforts to secure flag legislation. 

Sent its pro rata of three dollars to the National Society 
at the time of the law suit. 

One 1812 grave marked and nine other graves located. 

Gave a reception at the Seelback Hotel for Mrs. Slade 
and Miss Edge. 



STATE OF CONNECTICUT 

Organized 1906 
MRS. C. F. R. JENNE, President 

June 15, 1909, a monument of granite bearing the in- 
signia of the National Organization v^ith a fitting inscription 
was placed in the Colonial Cemetery at Derby, Connecticut, 
in honor of Isaac Hull, who was born in that town, March, 
1775. He was Commander of the Frigate Constitution 
capturing the Guerriere, August 19, 1812. 

Mrs. Maria W. Pinney, the organizer of the Connecticut 
Society gave generously toward the Memorial Window placed 
in vSt. Michael's Church, Dartmoor, England. Others gave 
smaller contributions, and something was given by the 
Society. 

On August 10, 1914, a handsome bronze tablet was given 
and placed in Stonington, Connecticut. It was erected on 
the site of the old fort which figured in the repulse of the 
British attack, of Stonington, on August 10, 1814. 

The tablet was presented by tlie State President, Mrs. 
C. F. R. Jenne and received by the Mayor, Miss Holmes 
being the chosen one to unveil the tablet. 

The National President was present and took part in the 
exercises. 

Have given liberally toward the tablet placed in Balti- 
more, September, 1914, for the "Star Spangled Banner 
Memorial." 

42 



STATE OF ARKANSAS 

Organized 1906 
MISS STELLA PICKETT HARDY. President 

The National Society United States Daughters of 1812, 
State of Arkansas, was organized April 4, 1906, by Mrs. 
Hetty Brandenburg Wilmans, of Newport, Ark. In March, 
1908, Mrs. Wilmans resigned, and Mrs. Katherine Braddock 
Barrow, of Little Rock, Ark., was appointed by Mrs. Slade 
to fill the unexpired term of Mrs. Wilmans. On March 26, 
1910, Mrs. Barrow was elected President and served until 
April 4, 1914. On March 28, 1914, the first council was held 
at Little Rock, and Miss Stella Pickett Hardy, of Batesville, 
was elected State President. 

The Nicholas Headington Chapter, N. S. U. S. D. 1812, 
of Little Rock, was organized October 24, 1908, and under 
the guidance of Mrs. S. S. Wassell, Regent, presented his- 
toric pictures to the public schools of Little Rock, celebrated 
Flag Day, and commemorated the Battle of New Orleans, 
and Mrs. Edward Price, a member of tlie Chapter, donated 
$5.00 to the Dartmoor Memorial Window. The Chapter 
under the guidance of Mrs. S. P. Davis, Regent, presented 
to the State and unveiled a granite boulder in the Old State- 
house Yard, to the memory of James Miller, hero of Lundy's 
Lane in the War of 1812. The inscription is as follows: 

"I'll Try Sir" 

General James Miller 

Born April 25, 1776 

Died July 7, 1851 

Hero of Lundy's Lane 

First Territorial Governon of Arkansas 

1819-1825 

Erected by Nicholas Headington Chapter 

U. S. D. 1812 

Mrs. Edward Price is Chairman on locating graves of 

soldiers in Little Rock, and she has started a fund for a monu- 

43 



ment to the Soldiers of 1812 buried there, and with the aid 
of a committee, has raised $500.00. $25.00 was given by 
the State. This amount is in bank drawing interest. The 
Chapter gave a book shower for tlie Battleship Arkansas, 
and received more than five hundred valuable books. These 
were sent to the Battleship for the men, and Captain Roy 
Smith, replying, expressed great appreciation. The Chapter 
also gave $25.00 towards purchasing a silver service for the 
Battleship Arkansas. Under the guidance of Mrs. J. N. 
Belcher, Regent, the Chapter raised a part of the fund for 
the proposed monument, and presented a copy of the Consti- 
tution of the United States, more than fifty years old to the 
Arkansas Museum Association. 

The John Craig Dodds Chapter, U. S. D. 1812, of Bates- 
ville, was organized March 25, 1910; Mrs. John P. Morrow, 
Organizing Regent. The Chapter contributed one-half dozen 
books to the Library of the Battleship Arkansas, and two 
dozen to the High School Library; gave $5.00 to the fund 
for the "silver service for the Battleship Arkansas;" and at 
"A Better Babies Contest," 1913, a prize of a gold spoon; 
and in 1914, $5.00; gave $5.00 to the "Francis Scott Key 
Monument," and $5.00 to the Belgium Relief Fund. 

The Simon Bradford Chapter, U. S. D. 1812, of Pine 
Bluff, organized September 19, 1911, by Mrs. Dillard H. 
Saunders, Regent, gave $5.00 in gold for the best essay on 
"The Battle of New Orleans ;" a handsome silver vase, 
suitably inscribed, to the Battleship Arkansas; three books 
to the Library for the Seamen on the Arkansas; $10.00 to 
the Francis Scott Key Monument; $5.00 to the Belgium 
refugees. 

The Chalmette Chapter, U. S. D. 1812, of Texarkanna, 
Arkansas, was organized July 15, 1913, Mrs. F. L. Wisdom, 
Regent. The Chapter has also contributed to Patriotic 
Education. 



44 



STATE OF IOWA 

Organized 1906 
MRS. R. J. JOHNSTON. President 

At the celebration of the one hundredth anniversary of 
the Saving of Baltimore by the lov^'a Society, Francis Scott 
Key Chapter, Council Bluffs, Iowa, placed a bronze tablet 
in the Pviblic Library to commemorate the event and that 
of the visit of Lincoln to Council Bluffs. The Library 
stands on the site of the house in which Lincoln was enter- 
tained at the time of his visit to Council Bluffs. 



STATE OF VIRGINIA 

Organized 1907 
MRS. CHARLES GIBSON, President 

The work of marking the sites made famous in our 
War of 1812 has been most successful for the year now 
about to close. The committee, consisting of Miss Katherine 
Patterson Evans, Chairman and Mrs. H. Spiller Kelly, have 
been indefatigable in their efforts to locate and mark suitably 
with appropriate and beautiful markers these sites. On 
December 4th, the site of the old Bell Tavern at the corner 
of Fifteenth and Main Streets, Richmond City, was marked. 

This was a famous political center in antebellum days 
and was used as a recruiting station in the stirring days of 
the War of 1812. 

Governor Henry Carter Stuart, himself a descendant 
of the heroes of 1812, spoke of tlie part played in the war by 
the famous old hostelry. 

The tablet which was graciously presented by the Regent 

of the Chapter, Mrs. LeRoy F. Brown, was received by 

Mayor George Ainslee on behalf of the city. The work of 

locating the site was done by Mrs. H. Spiller Kelly, who 

handled the details with much skill. 

Thanks are due to Mr. George W. Stevens, President 

45 



of Chesapeake and Ohio Railway and Mr. G. B. Wall, his 
assistant, for the courtesy and permission to place the tablet 
on the wall of the railway property. 

This event is quite interesting for it is the first endeavor 
of the kind in the State of Virginia by the Daughters of 
1812 and presages others of like nature on which the com- 
mittee are working. 

They have succeeded in locating another site at the old 
Masonic Hall which was used as a hospital and plans are 
on hand to place a beautiful marker here. The Capital 
Square Grounds were used for drilling purposes and it is 
proposed to mark this in a suitable way at an early date. 

The .Sites Committee has been ably assisted in their work 
by the Regent, Mrs. LeRoy F. Brown, Mrs. G. T. W. Kern, 
Mrs. Bocock and Mrs. B. J. Taylor. 



STATE OF NEBRASKA 

Organized 1908 
MRS. GEORGE B. DARR, President 

Each year since the Nebraska Society has been organized 
we have presented a flag to the Cadet of tlie Omaha High 
School who stood the highest in the competitive drill. Octo- 
ber 14, 1913, we placed in the Omaha High School a bronze 
tablet to commemorate the fight between the Hornet and the 
Chesapeake. 



STATE OF TENNESSEE 

Organized 1909 
MRS. WILLIAM G. SPENCER, State Pre.idcnt 

Our Society took part in the parade, with a handsomely 
decorated car, with a banner covering it of gray and blue, with 
the letters U. S. D. 1812 upon it, to celebrate the unveiling of 
General Jefiferson's statue in the capitol grounds. Handsome 
flowers, tied with the Society colors, flags and a large wreath 

46 



of immortelles were presented by the State President on 
January 8th. The following day, other patriotic societies 
were invited to join in a pilgrimage to the Hermitage, where 
beautiful services were held, with songs by the school children 
and speeches by distinguished people, and our Real Daughters. 
The occasion was a great credit to our Society in Tennessee. 



STATE OF INDIANA 

Organized 1910 
MRS. F. A. MORRISON. President 

Since its organization in 1910, Indiana has marked the 
graves of six soldiers of the War of 1812. General John 
Tilton buried in Logansport, Indiana was the first honored. 

In the Crown Hill Cemetery at Indianapolis, with im- 
pressive ceremonies the marker of Lazarus Wilson was un- 
veiled. Lazarus Wilson was a native of Maryland and had 
participated in the Battle of Fort McHenry. 

Dr. David H. Maxwell, an early, valued and influential 
Indiana citizen was the next Indiana soldier to be remembered. 
He is buried at Bloomington, Indiana, the seat of our State 
University, which he was influential in founding. 

The grave of John Burroughs of Ohio, buried in Ran- 
dolph County, Indiana, was marked. John Burroughs has 
five descendants in our Society, one a Real Daughter. 

The grave of Thomas Holt, buried in Columbus, was 
marked, also the grave of Andrew P. Hay in Charlestown, 
Indiana, a surgeon's mate in the 1812 Indiana's forces and 
a brother-in-law of Indiana's first Governor, Johathan Jen- 
nings, and the father of our first Real Daughter. 

We have two more grave markers which await the 

coming spring to be placed, that to John Allen, private and 

lieutenant in Indiana forces, buried in Brookville, Franklin 

County, Indiana and one to John Lonley, chaplain of the 

first Ohio Regiment. 

47 



We have in contemplation the marking of many graves, 
having verified the claims of about fifty soldiers, being de- 
layed by the sifting of their lineage. 

Our Society has found and honored six Real Daughters, 
one of whom has been taken from us by death. 

At a time of damaging flood in Indianapolis, ten dollars 
was contributed by our organization. 

At the meeting of the Legislature in 1913, we sent a 
memorial to the Legislature protesting against the desecration 
of the Sabbath by Sunday theatres. 

We have rescued the oldest known seal of Indiana terri- 
tory and have made it our official seal and had it placed upon 
our published State By-Laws. 

We are looking forward to doing our part toward the 
celebration of our State's Centennial in 1916. 



STATE OF FLORIDA 

Organized 1910 
MISS ETTA M. RORABECK. President 

While the National Society of United States Daughters 
of 1812, State of Florida, has not been inactive, it has not 
erected any monuments, tablets or memorials, but has direct- 
ed its efforts more particularly toward increasing the mem- 
bership, to the end that more efficient work may be done 
along patriotic lines in future. 



STATE OF ALABAMA 

Organized 1910 
MRS. HARRY T. INGE. President 

Miss Emily Josephine Hansell was first appointed 
Organizing President of this Society in Alabama. She died 
in office and the organization work ceased. 

About 1906, Mrs. William Mudd Jordan, of Birmingham 
became Organizing President. 

48 



On October 8, 1908, Miss Maiid McLure Kelly, of 
Birmingham, was appointed Organizing President, but was 
unable to take up the active organization of the Society in 
the State until the following year. 

On July 4, 1909, the Organizing President participated 
in the preliminary celebration at Horsehoe Bend, and pledged 
this State Society to the movement to establish this battle- 
ground as a National Park. The State Society also con- 
tributed to the Dartmoor Window Fund. 

On April 1, 1910, the first Board of Directors' meeting 
took place, at which all organization work was accepted and 
ratified, the By-Laws were accepted and the Society voted 
to take up the Jackson Highway as a monument to Andrew 
Jackson. 

On May 6, 1910, the first Chapter was organized in Birm- 
ingham, and named Sims Kelly by motion of Miss Burgamy 
and on unanimous vote, as a compliment to the State 
President. 

Since its organization, this State Society has done active 
work in several ways. 

OBSERVANCE OF HISTORICAL ANNIVERSARIES. 

The Battle of Horseshoe Bend is observed annually by 
the Sims Kelly Chapter with a banquet. 

The Centennials observed were the Battles of Talladega 
and Horseshoe Bend. 

Through correspondence with tlie editors of the Talladega 
papers, the State President inaugurated a campaign for the 
celebration at that place of the centennial of that battle, which 
resulted in a celebration by the citizens of that town under 
lead of their Commercial Club, (we having no local Chapter 
organized there) in which all local patriotic organizations 
participated. A feature of this celebration was the pageant 
which the Commercial Club arranged and financed. 

The Centennial of Horseshoe Bend was observed with 

49 



two celebrations, one on March 4, 1914, and the other on 
Fourth of July, 1914. 

On March 17th, the one hundredth anniversary day of 
the Battle of Horseshoe Bend, the President of the United 
States signed the bill enacted by congress accepting the 
donation by our State Historian, Mrs. Nora E. Miller, of 
part of the battleground and appropriating $5,000 for a monu- 
ment there. On that day, a celebration was held at Dade- 
ville, the County seat of Tallapoosa County, (in which County 
the battleground is located, at which a tablet erected by the 
County on the County Court House was unveiled with joint 
exercises by the State and County Governments and this 
Society. 

Later, at a joint meeting of the Alabama Horseshoe Bend 
Battle Commission and Mrs. Miller and Miss Kelly, of the 
U. S. D. 1812, Alabama, final plans for the other celebration 
in July were made. 

On the same day, the Sims Kelly Chapter observed the 
day with exercises in the public high schools of Birmingham, 
when portraits of General Jackson were presented by the 
Chapter to the schools. Judge W. E. Fort delivered an ad- 
dress on Jackson at the Central High School and City Com- 
missioner, the Hon. James Weatherly at the Ensley High 
School. The literary societies rendered the programmes. 
The annual banquet followed. At 11.30 A. M., all the flags 
on the Government and Municipal buildings and business 
houses gave the military salute in remembrance of the patriots 
who, at that hour a century before, were so valiantly and 
patriotically deciding the question of control of this continent. 

On July Fourth, the principal celebration of this 
centennial was held on the battleground at Horseshoe Bend, 
with the morning programme by the Federal and State 
Governments and the afternoon programme by this Society. 
This is said to be the largest celebration of the kind ever 
held in this State, the attendance being estimated by the 
press at between 10,000 and 20,000, notwithstanding the 

50 



battleground is situated away from the railroad. It was quite 
a regret to everyone that Mrs. Slade could not attend. 

The Central of Georgia Railroad very courteously 
furnished the State President a private car for the use of 
the State Society and its friends which added greatly to their 
comfort. The car was sidetracked at Dadesville until the 
return trip, the next day, and the regular train being delayed, 
the General Superintendent of the road had our car attached 
to his special train for the return trip. The Society had as 
its guests on the trip, Governor O'Neal, of Alabama, and his 
staff, Mrs. O'Neal, Miss O'Neal, Col. R. A. Mitchell, of 
Gadsden, representatives of several of the North Alabama 
newspapers and of the Associated Press, Judge Richard B. 
Kelly, and others. Col. C. R. Bricken, of the 2nd Alabama 
Infantry, Alabama National Guard, had the Hospital Corps 
provide and erect a tent for us, and detailed Captain Weston, 
of Tallassee, as special "aide" to the State President. Adju- 
tant-General Joseph B. Scully, of the Alabama National 
Guard, had the State militia execute the wishes of the State 
President, providing from the militia supplies, a flag, cannon 
and ammunition, etc., and specially detailed Company "M," 
4th Alabama Infantry, A. N. G. 

The night preceding the celebration, a public reception 
was held in Dadesville. 

HISTORICAL DATA AND MATTERS OF PUBLIC INTEREST. 

Through the Committee on Real Daughters, under the 
chairmanship of Miss Augusta Clyde Bloodworth, the Society 
got in touch with one real widow and about twenty-five 
Real Daughters. 

Through the Committee on Relics, Mrs. Nannie H. 
Williams, Chairman, many valuable relics have been discover- 
ed, including original military records, old newspapers and 
other relics. 

By means of the Jackson Highway, a campaign for 

51 



memorializing Andrew Jackson in the form of a transconti- 
nental highway was urged through the press, through personal 
correspondence and circulars, and through medium of the 
various international, national, state and county "good road" 
organizations. This highway has either been completed or 
its ultimate success assured throughout its length and the 
committee was discharged by the Society with a vote of 
thanks in 1914. 

Through the Committee on Historic Roads and High- 
ways, Mrs. J. Fall Roberson, Chairman, much historic data 
as to the early history of the State has been obtained. Mark- 
ers of the Jackson Trace have been placed at Huntsville 
(unveiled January 8, 1913) and Horseshoe Bend, (July 4, 
1914), with appropriate exercises. At Huntsville, the schools, 
both public and private, attended in a body, and the local 
organizations of U. S. D., U. C. V., D. A. R., Equal Suf- 
frage Association, and other organizations, attended officially. 
The Society secured a very favorable contract for these 
markers with the Oak Hill Marble and Stone Works. The 
design is by Richardson, and the Society is enabled to get 
them practically at cost. The State of Alabama, through 
the Director of the Department of Archives and History, has 
requested that we erect one of these markers at the terminal 
point of the Jackson Trace, at Fort Jackson, which is owned 
by the State. 

This State Society also joined in the movement inaugu- 
rated by the Alabama Federation of Women's Clubs to secure 
a new dormitory for women at the University of Alabama. 
Mrs. Harry T. Inge, of Mobile, was appointed Chairman of 
the Committee on Education. 

The Alabama Society also contributed to the George 
Washington Memorial Fund; was represented by Mrs. Frank 
S. White, Sr., at the Star Spangled Banner Centennial at 
Baltimore, to which the State President was appointed by the 
Governor of Alabama to represent the State. This Society 
has also been represented at various State and National con- 

52 



ventions which has as their object the patriotic, historical or 
material welfare of our country. 

The offer of the Birmingham News of a column, monthly, 
in that paper was accepted. This is in addition to the space 
that has been so freely given at all times, by all the papers, 
for articles of general interest or to arouse sentiment or 
interest. 

Another phase of endeavor in connection with the work of 
the committee on Marking Graves, is the Roster being compiled 
by the Sims Kelly Chapter containing biographical sketches 
of those patriots of 1784-1815, whose lives were identified 
with Alabama. On completion, this is to be published by the 
State of Alabama, through the Department of Archives and 
History. This Chapter also joined in the movement for a 
Woman's Club Building in Birmingham and subscribed for 
stock therein. 

At the annual meeting in 1913, Miss Kelly was unan- 
imously re-elected for a term of four years. On November 
28, 1914, she tendered her resignation, to be effective Decem- 
ber 1, 1914, which was accepted "with regret." She was 
then succeeded by Mrs. Harry Tutwiler Inge, of Mobile, and 
Mrs. Frank S. White, Sr., of Birmingham, was elected 
Second Vice-President to succeed Mrs. Inge. 



STATE OF KANSAS 

Organized 1912 
MRS. DUDLEY E. CORNELL. President 

We contributed through the National Society a small 
amount to the Dartmoor Memorial Window, and towards the 
Francis Scott Key Star Spangled Banner Memorial Tablet, 
at Baltimore, Maryland, last year. 



53 



The following States have sent no reports 
Mississippi, organized 1903. 
California, organized 1907. 
Minnesota, organized 1911. 
North Carolina, organized 1912. 
Oklahoma, organized 1914. 



54 




LIBRARY OF CONGRESS 



I' I iIIIIiIIIIm II I I I iI ilji 

011 895 302 2 



;